Re: Server Startup problems

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:56:34 +0200

sen_at_nwu.edu wrote in message <821lva$7mj$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>When I set the Oracle server services to startup automatically
>on NT Server startup, Oracle runs very sloooowly. If I
>start the Oracle services manually after my NT server
>has booted up, then Oracle runs fine. What's up??

I think you might be misdiagnosing the problem.

Oracle on NT is a NT Service Process that is started and stopped using Server Manager API calls. So whether or not that API call is made automatically by NT at boot up, or via the command line after the system has booted, it's the same call. Same process that is executed. I can not see how this could lead to performance problems.

Except if this was the other way around -the manual Oracle start after NT boot up was causing problems. After NT has booted and you start it manually, Oracle can no longer allocate all the memory it needs. Which it could in auto startup as it could grab some memory before other services got their dirty little pointers on it. But this is not the case I would think, as you're experiencing the problem in reverse.

Maybe if you give us some more information. Exactly what is slow? How do you measure it?

regards,
Billy Received on Wed Dec 01 1999 - 01:56:34 CST