Re: index usage question

From: Guang Ju YANG <yangg_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 21:07:28 +0100

Hi,

generally, an index is used only when the first columns have a value in the where clause.

this is true in a rule based instance but this is disappearing with the new versions (V8) of Oracle.

if you use statistics mode, you can check :

  1. seletivity of all columns having a value in where clause
  2. collecting or not the statistics values (see ANALYZE command)
  3. number of rows in your table

HTH.
Yang