Re: Using split and pipe to avoid 2 GB file size limit on HP-UX for exports

From: Neil <plums_at_bigfoot.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:50:31 -0000

Export to several files

 % mknod /tmp/exp_pipe p                                         # Make the
pipe
 % cd /fs_with_25gig_freespace                                # Make sure
disk has space
 % split -b2047m < /tmp/exp_pipe &                         # Split input to
2Gb chunks
 % exp user/passwd file=/tmp/exp_pipe full=y          # Export to the pipe

 This will split the export into several files called 'xaa', 'xab', 'xac'  all of size 2047Mb. These can be fed back into import thus:

 % mknod /tmp/imp_pipe p                              # Make the pipe
 % cd /fs_with_25gig_freespace
 % cat xaa xab xac > /tmp/imp_pipe &           # Put files into the pipe
 % imp user/passwd file=/tmp/imp_pipe        # And import

HTH NeilC