Re: Dropping Column in a Oracle 8.0.5 database

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:34:08 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "Garsen Subramoney" <Garsen_at_netactive.co.za> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:14:08 +0200, you wrote:

>I need to drop a column from a table. The table has constraints and
>relationships on it. The table has critical data in it. How do i go about
>dropping that column?
>

>Thanks

DROP COLUMN is available with Oracle8i, release 8.1. It is not available prior to that.

I myself would:

o rename table THAT_TABLE to SOMETHING_ELSE o alter table something_else modify that_column NULL; -- allow it to be NULL o create or replace view THAT_TABLE as select <colunms> FROM SOMETHING_ELSE o drop the grants on SOMETHING_ELSE
o give the grants to THAT_TABLE (which is now a view)

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Tue Nov 30 1999 - 08:34:08 CST