Creating 8i database on Linux

From: jmsalvo <jmsalvo_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 05:31:12 GMT

I have installed 8i successfully. The problem comes when creating a database.

I have told DB Config Assistant to (instead of creating the db for me), save to scripts. The most important is the first script, in my case named LINUXDBrun.sh (where LINUXDB is my ORACLE_SID):

#!/bin/sh
ORACLE_SID=LINUXDB
export ORACLE_SID
/home/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/bin/svrmgrl << EOF
spool /home/oracle/app/oracle/product/8.1.5/install/crdb1.log connect internal
startup nomount pfile =
/home/oracle/app/oracle/admin/linuxdb/pfile/initLINUXDB.ora
CREATE DATABASE "linuxdb"

   maxdatafiles 254
   maxinstances 8
   maxlogfiles 32
   character set WE8ISO8859P1
   national character set WE8ISO8859P1
DATAFILE '/dbmount/oradata/linuxdb/system01.dbf' SIZE 75M logfile '/dbmount/oradata/linuxdb/redo01.log' SIZE 500K, '/dbmount/oradata/linuxdb/redo02.log' SIZE 500K; disconnect
spool off
exit

EOF

  1. The first problem said "insufficient privilege". So I changed the line "connect internal" to "connect internal/oracle".
  2. After specifying the internal password, it did mention "Connected.", and the instance started (STARTUP NOMOUNT worked), but the CREATE DATABASE statement would give me an error "Not logged in."

WHAT???!!!! Wasn't I just connected???

Oh, I was running the above script as the linux account oracle under the group oinstall.

3) I then tried to run the above script under the linux account oradba (under the linux group dba). After being able to successfully run svrmgrl and connecting as internal/oracle (Modifying some permissions on files/directories ...), it also says "Not logged in". There are other errors, including something about audit files and "Linux permission denied."

4) I have tried to run the above script with the 8.1.5.0.1 patch applied as well. No such luck.

I AM SOOOO CONFUSED Any help appreciated.

John Salvo

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 29 1999 - 23:31:12 CST