Re: Oracle 8i - defrag SYSTEM tablespace how?

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 13:02:25 -0500

A copy of this was sent to "Alex Andr." <deep_at_uqcd.poltava.ua> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Mon, 29 Nov 1999 17:24:03 +0200, you wrote:

>Hello!
>I install new Oracle 8i database and import my previous data from dump.
>My DB has more user Packages, Procedures and Functions. Throught, after
>import I saw that view dba_sources has 60 segments. I enlarge initial
>segment for tablespace SYSTEM before import but nothing change.
>What can I do? How import without large fragmentation SYSTEM tablespace?

don't worry about it. It is *ok* to have extents in system (and in fact most every tablespace). My source$ table has 511 extents -- and it is not a performance issue.

If it really bothers you, edit your sql.bsq file and change the definition for source$. Most all data dictionary objects have initial and next extents defined at the object level and ignore the tablespace settings.

>Thank you very much for answers.
>Alexander.

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Mon Nov 29 1999 - 12:02:25 CST