Re: Incremental Backup for Oracle on NT Servers.

From: <karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:41:09 GMT

Hi,

 you could turn on archive-log mode,
 make a cold backup (instance shut down) of all your database files,  and then save the archived logfiles.

 note, this can be alot of data. as an estimate, take your average log - switch interval (from alertlog), multiplied with your redo-size.

 this gives you an idea, how much archived redo will be generated per day/week.

 after implementing this kind of backup strategy, you should test it a few times. (e.g. delete some datafiles, recover from your backup.)

 this is a bit more difficult than plain import/export, but it  has some advantages: guaranteed data-consistency, point-in-time recovery etc.

 check out oracle backup and recovery guide for details.

Karsten

In article <1e43bb60.09727290_at_usw-ex0110-076.remarq.com>,   yechiel <adaryNOadSPAM_at_altavista.net.invalid> wrote:
> Hello All
>
> We are looking into incremental oracle backup on NT servers
> with oracle 7.3.4.
> Until now we did a full database export and copied the
> export file to a local tape in the server.
> We are moving now to a tape robot that will be in the
> computer center. Moving exports every day can tax the
> network so we need incremental backup.
>
> Please advice, offer producrs, warn about products that you
> checked and decided not to use etc.
>
> Thanks
>
> Yechiel Adar,
> Mehish computer services,
> Israel
>
> * Sent from AltaVista http://www.altavista.com Where you can also
find related Web Pages, Images, Audios, Videos, News, and Shopping. Smart is Beautiful

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 29 1999 - 08:41:09 CST