Re: How Oracle uncompress the installation file ?

From: Yass Khogaly <ykhogaly_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 08:19:16 -0800

Q: Is it possible to pull off just one oracle product from the oracle distribution ?

  1. Yes, but you will have to go through several manual steps to load the required product from the media.

To get a list of all products on an Oracle tape type

          restore -Tvf /dev/xxxx >filename

Where /dev/xxxx is the name of the device into which you inserted the media and filename is the name of a file on disk which will contain the redirected output from the restore command. This will give you a list of all files held on the oracle distribution which will be useful in identifying the product names which can be restored.

To actually restore a product you will have to execute the following steps carefully.

Log on as your oracle user and change directory to your ORACLE home directory

cd $ORACLE_HOME

Then type

restore -xvdf /dev/xxxx ./[product]/install/[PRODUCT].DIST.Z

eg - if you wish to extract PRO*COBOL from 8mm Video 8 tape the command would be

               restore -xvdf /dev/rmt0 ./cobol/install/COBOL.DIST.Z

PL/SQL would be

               restore -xvdf /dev/rmt0 ./plsql/install/PLSQL.DIST.Z

The product distribution file will then need to be uncompressed before it can be used.

          uncompress ./[product]/install/[PRODUCT].DIST.Z

Once uncompressed, it can be used to identify all the other files on the media which make up the required products distribution and so can be used to provide the list of required files to the restore command. However, some files on the distribution are in compressed format and have a '.Z' siffux so we have to append a wildcard on to the end of each filename to take this into account.

          restore -xvdf /dev/xxxx `cat ./[product]/install/[PRODUCT].DIST |\
          awk '{printf "%s*\n",$1 } '`

Now that all of the required files are on disk we have to uncompress all of those files which have a '.Z' suffix.

          find . -name '*.Z' -exec uncompress {} \;

All that is left now is to run through the oracle installation as instructed in the ORACLE Installation and User's Guide. Install the new products as an upgrade to your current installation.

     When installing some oracle products it may be necessary to load other related products as well. For example, SQL*Forms30 requires that ORAKIT

     and ORATERM be loaded also, the pre-compilers such as C, COBOL, etc. require PCC.

"The Views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Oracle Corporation"