Re: Installing 8i on RH6.1 - Multiple problems

From: Jaime Garcia <webmaster_at_fenix.cl>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 19:39:46 -0300

Greg McCann wrote:

> Has *anyone* gotten this to work correctly? I've followed the instructions
> exactly and have run into one brick wall after another!
>
> Here is where I'm stuck now...
>
> 1. When the installer tries to automatically run the Oracle Database
> Configuration Assistant, it fails with the error message "A required command
> line argument is missing". I saw a message in this newsgroup saying that I
> should be using jre 1.1.7v3 rather than the Oracle-recommended 1.1.6v5. I've
> installed the newer jre and still get the same error.

I read somewhere that you have to choose custom instalation, it does not work with typical nor minimal.

> 2. After quitting the installation, I try to run the ODCA (dbassist) manually
> while logged in as "oracle". The first error I get is a little red alarm bell
> with the message "JNLS Exception: oracle.ntpg.jnls.UNLSException. Unable to
> find any National Character Sets. Please check your Oracle installation".
>
> This does not seem to be a fatal error. The ODCA loads and I select
> Create/Typical/Create new/OLTP. I accept the defaults for the following screens
> and it gets to the Database Creation screen. I get the red alarm bell again and
> the message "ORA_01012: not logged in". This is a fatal error. If I try
> running dbassist logged in as root, I get to the same place and get the error
> message "ORA_01031: insufficient privileges".
>
> The next time I try to run dbassist, it thinks that the database I tried
> unsuccessfully to create already exists and it will not let me create it again.
> Of course, it will not let me delete it either. :(

Ive tried a lot of things and I found that error always "ORA_02012: not logged in " when I look at
/$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log/ora_xxx.trc
I found a several suspicius warning like "skgm warning: EINVAL creating segment os size 0000000004910000 fix stun parameters in /etc/system or equivalent" no idea what they mean or how to fix it

> 3. SQL*PLUS. First, the installation does not make sqlplus executable. I
> chmod +x sqlplus. Then when I try to run it I get the error message "./sqlplus:
> error in loading shared libraries: libclntsh.so.8.0: cannot open shared object
> file: No such file or directory". This file is not on my system anywhere.

I got that error with sqlplus and svrmgrl, with different libraries, I just create the necesary link to these files under /lib and they work.