Thin JDBC to Oracle8i through firewall?

From: Chris Means <cmeans_at_holdthespam.empowergeo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 13:06:31 -0600

Hi,

I'm trying to get a Java 1.1.8 application to connect to an Oracle8i server.

When I'm local to the server (same network or same machine) there are NO problems.

However, my boss wants to demo the application via the internet. He knows it will be slower, but it's just a technology demonstration...so it doesn't have to work great. My problem is that our Oracle8i server is behind a firewall (FortKnox to be specific).

I've openned up port 1521 to the machine in the firewall configuration, but that doesn't seem to be enough...are there more ports I need to open?

I do have LapLink working from my remote machine, through the firewall, to the Oracle machine...no problem...just openned up another (specific) port. This proved that I knew how to properly configure the firewall etc...

Has anyone done this before? What resources are there for Oracle that describe how I should configure things?

Thanks for any help or pointers you can provide!

-Chris Means Received on Fri Nov 26 1999 - 13:06:31 CST