Re: Oracle 8i on TruCluster

From: Yass Khogaly <ykhogaly_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:30:09 -0800

This note applies to Oracle release 8.0, differences with 8i are   noted where appropriate(*)

  Introduction

  If you are installing Oracle on a Compaq Tru64 UNIX machine, when   you run the installer you will be prompted with the question:
       Select (Yes) to install the products on all the nodes that
       comprise the cluster for the ORACLE8 Parallel Server. Select (No)
       to install products on this node only. Select (Help) for further
       assistance.

       (*) Wording may be slightly different with 8i.

  Selecting Yes to this option allows you to run the installer once and   it will install Oracle on all nodes in the TruCluster. This can save   time, however there are some restrictions. This note discusses these.

  Restrictions

+ The installer will prompt you for each node to install the software on:

       Enter remote node name on remote node. The remote node name must
       be the hostname of a node on the cluster. Leave the entry blank
       and press [RETURN] when you have entered all the nodes on the
       cluster.

    Once you've answered this once for each node, blank out the entry before     pressing RETURN.

+ The installer will use the SAME value for ORACLE_HOME on all nodes.
    Consequently if you want the following setup:

      NODE1    ORACLE_HOME=/oracle1/app/oracle/admin/V806
      NODE2    ORACLE_HOME=/oracle2/app/oracle/admin/V806

    ie ORACLE_HOMEs are different, you will either have to do separate installs

    or setup symbolic links so that /oracle1/app/oracle points to     /oracle2/app/oracle on NODE2. After the installation completes the symbolic

    links should be removed and the init<SID>.ora and config<SID>.ora updated

    accordingly on NODE2.

    Our recommendation is if the values for ORACLE_HOME will be different     then use a separate install.

+ If the installer is doing multiple installs, the way it works is to
    do the installation on the node where the installer is running first. When

    this installation is finished it copies the ORACLE_HOME to the other nodes.

    To do this you will need to have your $HOME/.rhosts file correctly setup     on ALL nodes in the cluster, so that your installer can copy     the files across. The format is:

      <remote_machine_name> <username>

    eg
      ukaa26.uk.oracle.com oracle

    Once setup, ensure the remote access is working:     From the machine where the installer is going to be run from issue:

      % rsh <othernode> ls

    If you don't get a directory listing or are prompted for a password then     .rhosts is not setup correctly. Please see your UNIX System Administrator

    before going any further.

+ As discussed in the previous section, the install is done on subsequent
    nodes by COPYing the ORACLE_HOME across. This means that Oracle     does NOT get relinked on the other nodes. After an install completes we     would recommend you perform a manual relink of AT LEAST the Oracle     executable on the other nodes. This can be done as follows:

       <login as the Oracle UNIX owner>
       <shutdown the instance>
       % cd $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/lib
       % make -f ins_rdbms.mk ioracle

    The link must complete without errors before you can restart the instance.

    It is much better to find out the software does not link now, rather than

    X months down the road when (say) installing a patch on a production system.

+ The database created with have the same database name (db_name) as
    the SID name supplied for the node where the install is running. For example

    if you are going to have

      NODE1   SID=V806A
      NODE2   SID=V806B

    If you run the installer on NODE1 and create a database, the database     name given will be V806A.

CONFIGURING TRUCLUSTER ON DIGITAL UNIX

  Questions and Answers:

  1. Before installation, how can I determine that the memory channel hardware is okay?
      From the boot prompt issue mc_diag and mc_cable.
      See the Memory Channel User's Guide for more details.

  2. Where is the TruCluster Software?

      Digital UNIX Associated Products Volume 2 CD.

  3. Are there Pre-requisits for loading the Trucluster software?

      Yes, along with the memory channel hardware you need Licenses.
      You need the Trucluster license TCR-UA to be active.  But if
      you are loading all Trucluster subsets you need the following
      licenses *disabled*:

         ASE-OA and MCA-UA

  1. Mount the CD-ROM.
  2. Load all optional and mandatory subsets.

         # setld -l /cdrom/TruCluster/kit

  3. During Configuration of the TruCluster Configuration Software subset

      you are:

  1. Prompted for a name of the cluster interconnect. Enter the IP NAME for the cluster interconnect.
  2. Prompted for an IP address.

          An example entry:

             IP name IP Address

             ukaa25 installation:   ukaa25_MC    10.0.0.4
             ukaa26 installation:   ukaa26_MC    10.0.0.5

          The IP address needs only to be visible to the machines. It does
          not need to be externally visible.

      c)  Prompted for:

             Will the system be in an ASE [Y}:

             Answer:  'Y'

      d)  Prompted for:

             Enter the ASE_ID number [0]:

             An example reply:

                ukaa25    id 0
                ukaa26    id 0

          These values are stored in /etc/rc.config

      e)  Prompted for:

             Do you want to run the ASE logger on this node? [n]:

             An example reply:  'N'

          Installation should now be complete, and you will be prompted to
          rebuild the kernel.

  Configuration:

  1. Tell asemgr about all the nodes.

      Run From one node:

        % asemgr

      You are prompted to:

         | Enter a comma-separated list of member systems's interfaces on
         | the cluster interconnect within ASE 0.

      An example entry:

         ukaa25_MC, ukaa26_MC

         | Enter Members:  ukaa25_MC, ukaa26_MC
         |
         | Member List:  ukaa25_MC, ukaa26_MC
         |
         | Is this correct (y/n) [y]:

      Enter:  'Y'

      Now enter:

         % asemgr -dh

      An example return:

         |        Member Status
         |
         | Member:                       Host Status:    Agent Status:
         | ukaa25_MC                     UP              RUNNING
         | ukaa26_MC                     UP              RUNNING

      The interconnects are now configured.

  2. Configure a tie-breaker disk.

      First create a fail-over service, enter:

         % asemgr

         m)  Managing ASE Services
         c)  Service Configuration
         a)  Add a new service

             tie_1
             rrzc16c

      Now specify a disk to act as the tie-breaker, enter:

         % cnxset -d /dev/rrzc16c

      You need to do this manually on ukaa25 and ukaa26.

      Confirm with:

         # cnxshow

      An example Cluster View:

         Director:  ukaa25_MC   Suspended:  No

         Node monitor using tie-breaking disk: /dev/rrzc16c

         Hostname      Cluster I/F  CS_ID      Incarnation       Comm
Member
                                                                 Okay
-
         ukaa25.uk.or  ukaa25_MC    0001,0002  0000000000060a83  Yes   Yes
         ukaa26.uk.or  ukaa26_MC    0001,0001  0000000000043cef  Yes   Yes

  Installation Validation:

  1. Following installation, ensure that the software is running:
         % cnxshow
        % cnxshow -v

      This should report no errors.

      Also use:

        % clu_ivp

      This should report no errors.

  2.  You MAY need to set the follow-up boot parameters at the halt
      chevron '>>' prompt.  Example:  shutdown -h

         >> set boot_reset ON
         >> set bus_probe_algorithm new

      *Note:  clu_ivp will indicate if this is necessary.