Re: Authentication problem

From: Yass Khogaly <ykhogaly_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 10:08:20 -0800

               NT: Configuring OS Authentication (OPS$ Accounts)

 The steps required to use OS Authentication from an Windows NT or Windows 95 client to a Windows NT server are as follows:

  NOTE: The user account needs to be the same name on the Windows NT client and on the Windows NT server. Also the OPS$ account should be post fixed with the same name as the Windows NT account.

  1. Create a user account on Windows NT server where the Oracle database resides.
    1. Go to the Program Manager and open the Administrative Tools Group.
    2. In the Administrative Tools Group double click on the User Manager Icon.
    3. Go to the User Menu and select New User
    4. Enter the Username: <name> and the same password the user uses on their Windows NT client.
    5. Click OK and the users is created for you on Windows NT server.
  2. Create an OPS$ account in the Oracle Database
    1. After the database is started, connect to the database as a DBA either through SQLPLUS or SQLDBA
    2. Issue the following command: CREATE USERS OPS$<name> IDENTIFIED EXTERNALLY;
    3. Issue the following command: GRANT CONNECT TO OPS$<name>;
    4. You will want to set the default tablespace and temporary tablespace for the users as well as set quotas and other parameters for the users. This is done with the alter user command as follows: ALTER USER OPS$<name> DEFAULT TABLESPACE <tablespace1> TEMPORARY TABLESPACE <tablespace2> QUOTA 10M ON <tablespace1> QUOTA 10M ON <tablespace2>;
    5. For more information on alter user parameters refer to the Server Administrator Guide.
  3. Share a directory on the Windows NT server where the Oracle database resides.

     NOTE: You do not need to Share a directory if you are using SQLNET Named Pipes.

  1. Go to the File Manager and highlight a directory that you want to share.
  2. Go to the Disk Menu and click on Share As
  3. In the New Share parameter box Set the Share Name: and any User Limits. Also if you do not want to share this directory with everyone then click on the Permissions button and limit to what groups or users that you desire.
  4. Now click on OK button to create the shared directory.
  5. Test the new OS Authentication account.

     Note: For SQL*NET 2.2 Named Pipes you do not need to perform steps b) to f)

  1. From the Windows NT client login as the userid that has been setup as an OPS$<userid> on the server.

          NOTE: You may need to reboot the client and Login again before the OS Authentication account will work on the database.

       b) Then run the File Manager
       c) Go to the Disk Menu and select Connect Network Drive.
       d) Select a Drive letter to be assigned to this network drive and if
you want to Reconnect at Logon check the check box.
       e) From the list of servers double click on the Windows NT server
that the database reside on.
       f) Then double click on the shared directory.  If you are prompted
for a password, then user?s account that you created on the server has a
          different password than the user logged onto the client.  Go ahead
and enter the password given to the user when it was created
          on the server.  You should now be sharing a network drive on the
Database server.  If not please refer to your Windows NT
          documentation on how to share and connect to network drives.
       g) Now run SQLPLUS on the client and login to the database as
follows:

          /@SQLNET2_DB_ALIAS. NOTE:
If you do not have a SQLNET 2 database alias then you will need to create one. The easiest way for SQLNET 2.2 for Windows NT clients Is to use the SQL*NET EASY CONFIGURATION and create one. For more information on this refer the Network Prods. User's Guide V2.2 online help file.

       h) You should now be connected to the database without having to enter a username or password. Again, to connect to the database using the OS Authentication account connect as /@ SQLNET2_DB_ALIAS.

"The Views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of Oracle Corporation"