Re: Delete with lot of data in Oracle 7.3

From: <sbenitez_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 05:04:16 GMT

When I need to delete a large amount of rows on a regular basis, I usually set up a rolling purge of rows with a dbms_job. Depending on whether you are running a DSS or OLTP system, and the size of your rollback, set up a sp which deletes a pre-set number of rows each time it is executed. Also, depending on how many indexes you have on this table, will affect the time it takes to delete. I'm not sure, but this may be able to run using parallel query, and also by maybe striping your table over several controllers will help with any possible I/O contention.

In article <BLZ_3.944$hI2.3831873_at_nnrp2.proxad.net>,   "eric duchet" <eric.duchet_at_free.Fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have on my database a table containing 50 000 000 rows.
> Every day I have to delete 1 000 000 rows to avoid the database to
grow
> (the same number of rows are to this table in a day)
>
> I use Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX
>
> An Oracle Consultant told me that it is not realistic to delete so
many
> rows.
> What do You think about that ?
> Otherwise, what dou You preconise.
>
> Thanx.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 24 1999 - 23:04:16 CST