Re: Largest Oracle Installation in the WORLD!!!

From: Kenneth C Stahl <BlueSax_at_Unforgettable.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 08:03:07 -0500

markp7832_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> Just out of curiousity: how big?
>
> --
> Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
> you follow so follow your own advice --
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

I worked on a government installation which was at least in the 1000 Tbyte range. It is almost impossible to get an exact handle on the size because it is a clustered operation. The great part about it was that it was possible to access any table in any instance on any processor if permissions were set up right.

One of the engineers who was reponsible for the networking aspect once told me that in essence it was the second largest lab in the world in terms of raw computing power at that time (circa 1993). But this was helped by multiple Cray X-MPs, Y-MPs and FPS3000 as well as so many VAX 9000 custers that it made my head spin just trying to keep up with the different machines - which was why we had it set up to allow all of the databases to communicate with each other. Received on Wed Nov 24 1999 - 07:03:07 CST