Designer/2000 needs SQL*Net not Net8 ??

From: Mark Brayshaw <markb_at_global.net.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 06:34:05 GMT

Greetings Gentlebeings,

                                   I have an interesting problem trying to
configure Designer 2000 2.1.1 on an NT4.0 (SP4) client.

I have Oracle 8.0.4 running on a Sun Solaris machine and 8.1.5 running on an NT 4 server. I have the client software for 8.0.4 on my client and can use SQL Plus (3.3 and 8.0) to connect to either server. I am also able to use OEM to administer either database from my client.   I have been asked to install Designer 2000 2.1.1 to install on a client, which I've done, and have performed all the preconfiguration steps on the 8.1.5 database and am at the point of running the Repository Administration Utility
from the client to set up the repository. Unfortunately, it seems that Designer 2000 uses SQL*Net not Net8 to communicate and I do not have I cannot configure SQL*Net because I get an error message indicating that there are no protocol adapters installled. I know that the TCP/IP adapter IS installed because I use it for SQLPlus and OEM, so it seems that SQL*Net is not recognising the protocol adapters that work with Net8.

Should I forget about Designer 2000 2.1.1, as it seems thath it may be too back level for my environment? If so,
which version should I go for? Is it possible to have both SQL*Net and Net8 resident on my client? If so, where
can I get a copy of the older SQL*Net and tha adapters?

Any advice would be gratefully accepted

Regards
Mark Brayshaw
Consultant,
Interim Technology
Level 4, 11 Harvest Terrace, West Perth WA 6005, AUSTRALIA Perth: Ph: +61 8 9481 0488 Fax: +61 8 9481 6576 Mobile: 0409 405 411
mailto:markbrayshaw_at_interim.com
http://www.interimtechnology.com.au

Transforming the way people work with technology with PERFORMANCE - TEAMWORK - LEARNING - INNOVATION - INTEGRITY