char, varchar2 confused?

From: Sebastian Degenaar <degenaar_at_adlink.com.au>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 12:29:27 +1100

If I do a sql statement within oracle 8i on Win NT on a varchar2 field such as
select * from accounts where account_type = 'whatever' I have to pad the 'whatever' with spaces to reflect the length of the field. However if I change the field type to char, I don't have to pad and it works fine. I don't get this.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers! Received on Tue Nov 23 1999 - 19:29:27 CST