Re: Morphing extents

From: James Lorenzen <james_lorenzen_at_allianzlife.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:45:13 GMT

Buried in the Oracle concepts manual somewhere is the explanation. Oracle will add one extra block to the allocation when the allocation exceeds 5 blocks. It looks as if your blocksize is 2k. That means that the 131072 allocation is 64 blocks, adding the block puts is at 65 blocks, which is 133120, or 130K.

BTW Oracle will always allocate at least 2 blocks, 1 for the header and 1 for the data.

HTH
    James

In article <81ev10$g1s$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Anne Hanson <anneh1_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> Perhaps this is an easy question, but it's stumping me...
>
> I have dropped and recreated table BLAH in a tablespace where the
> default initial_extent and next_extent sizes are both 131072 bytes,
and
> pct_increase = 0. However, when I query the dba_extents table for info
> on BLAH, it shows all of the extents are *133120* bytes, ie each
extent
> is exactly 1 block larger than the desired size. Queries of
dba_segments
> and dba_tables both show that initial_extent and next_extent
> theoretically are 131072 bytes.
>
> Does anyone know what is going on here? Thanks for any help.
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 23 1999 - 15:45:13 CST