Help wanted: install second Oracle instance on NT

From: bmlam <bmlam_at_online.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 22:46:32 +0100

Hi all,

For practical purposes, I am trying to create a second Oracle instance/database on an NT machine. I ran across a problem when creating the second instance so I to hope to get some hints from the experts here.

Say the 1. instance is called TST1. The second instance should be TST2

I backed up and shutdown TST1.
I created the parameter file inittst2.ora I created the NT service for TST2 with startmode MANUAL. I started the NT service OracleServiceTST2 and verified that it was actually started

The problem is with starting Server Manager to create the TST2 database. Below is a copy of the interactions:

>SVRMGR30
Oracle Server Manager Release 3.0.4.0.0 - Production (c) Copyright 1997, Oracle Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

ORA-12203: TNS:unable to connect to destination

connect internal/password_at_tst2

SVRMGR> ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name

connect internal/password_at_tst1

SVRMGR> ORA-12500: TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process

When TST1 is up and running I can connect to TST1 without problem. But this doesnot serve my purpose at all. I did add an entry in TNSNAMES.ORA for TST1 but that still did not help.

So I suspect somehow Server Manager is bound to talk to TST1 only. How could this be verified and changed?

Thanks for any hints and suggestions. Received on Tue Nov 23 1999 - 15:46:32 CST