Truncate SYN$ Table?

From: Jon Derman <derman_at_optonline.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 11:18:19 -0500

I'm trying to test out a hypothetical situation. Here's the scenario:

My database has lots of private synonyms -- let's say 1 million synonyms. I don't need them anymore, so I drop those 1 million synonyms.

Now my SYN$ table has tons of unused extent-space allocated in the SYSTEM tablespace, and full table scans of SYN$ still take a long time because all those extents are being read. I want to reorganize the SYN$ table, so here's what I do:

STARTUP RESTRICT
CREATE TABLE SYN$_TEMP AS SELECT * FROM SYS.SYN$; TRUNCATE TABLE SYS.SYN$;
INSERT INTO SYS.SYN$ SELECT * FROM SYN$_TEMP; ...And that seems to work fine. Now my SYN$ table is nice and small. Is there any reason why I should not do this? Is this okay? Is this dangerous in any way?

Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

--Jon Received on Tue Nov 23 1999 - 10:18:19 CST