Re: Security Question-Reposted

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 08:51:09 -0000

There is an option in OCI in 8.1, although the documentation is far from complete.

You can:

    alter user grant connect through {proxy id} with role {list of roles}

This means that your OCI application can connect to the database using a hard-coded user id / password (the proxy id) which has no privileges other than a basic CREATE SESSION, but be allowed though to act as another ID without supplying that IDs password.

In this way, you can changed the real password as often as you like. The system can only be subverted by someone who - finds the proxy id and password from the executable, and then writes their own OCI program.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

<38397417.5418001_at_read.news.globalnet.co.uk>...