Patching client to use PL/SQL 2 for Forms 4.5

From: <avolbert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:12:05 GMT

Last week I posted asking information as to whether anyone knew if an Oracle patch to use PL/SQL 2 for Forms 4.5 on the client side, so ‘RR’ could be utilized to solve Y2K problems. As with this posting, I sent messages to comp.databases.oracle.server, comp.databases.oracle.tools and comp.databases.oracle.misc. I got no negative responses to utilizing this October 13 patch, and one significantly positive response by an Oracle DBA. I do not know if netiquette allows me to mention his name so it is safest not to do so.

“PL/SQL 2 to be sure is NOT a major upgrade. This is all marketing hype, as years ago they sold sticking with PL/SQL 1 as 'application partitioning'. I made the transition at the server side years ago and I said 'Is that all there is?'”, he stated.

This gives me a far more positive feeling about our installing Oracle’s patch on the client side at our company. I also feel more positively because so far no DBAs or other Oracle gurus have reported anything negative. No news is good news. For safety's sake, however, I would still like to hear from anyone who has had experience with a system using Oracle's Oct. 13 PL/SQL patch for Forms 4.5 on the client side. If I do not get any negative responses to this posting, perhaps you too will feel more positively about installing this patch if your company is considering doing so.

Arthur Volbert, Senior Programmer-Analyst

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Mon Nov 22 1999 - 22:12:05 CST