Re: Index extent sizing

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 20:13:27 -0000

I think you've picked up half the concept from somewhere.

Yes - get uniform sizing by using the defaults for the tablespace (and setting MINIMUM EXTENT for the tablespace in 7.3+).

but also

Yes, size according to the requirements of the index, by creating a number of different tablespaces each dedicated to a different scale of object, typically

    small, medium, large, enormous, completely_ridiculous

Note: aim to have between 1 and 40 extents to a segment as a 'reasonable' number; consider moving an index to the next size of tablespace it gets into the high end of this range.

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk