Re: Backup/Recover datafile doubts..Please help

From: Keith Boulton <boulke_at_globalnet.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 17:36:19 GMT

On Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:00:13 +0530, Vidya <india1_at_bv3c4.austin.ibm.com> wrote:

>Hi ,
>
>I had backed a Oracle dbf file using backup / restore commands of Unix
>and restored from tape with unix command.
>Then from the Oracle Server Manager I put the file into the database
>but
>it resulted in Media failure.

Oracle detects the fact that the recoved data file is older than expected from the control file and presumably gave you an error message like: ORA-01113: file 6 needs media recovery

Issuing alter database recover datafile instructs the database to re-apply changes from the online/archived redo-logs as required to bring the datafile into line with the rest of the database. I imagine you were simply experimenting so no actual recovery was required, so the datafile header is simply synchronised with the control file as stated by your dba friend.