Re: Newbie question

From: Peter Laursen <ptl_at_edbgruppen.dk>
Date: 22 Nov 1999 15:06:09 GMT

matt_cable_at_my-deja.com skrev i artiklen <816r9c$rci$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
> I'm going to be taking an Oracle programming course this Spring. Is
> there any way to get a hold of a desktop Oracle/SQL editor/compiler?
> I'd like to get a job developing Oracle applications, but I'm in the
> Navy and so can't work for anybody full time for another few years.
> What I'd like to do is to write programs on my own for small businesses,
> churches, schools, etc., using my own resources so that I can build up a
> list of projects successfully completed before I go out and get a
> full-time developing job. I have Delphi 3(I was all prepared to take a
> Pascal course this semester so that I could start writing applications
> in that, but this school no longer teach Pascal and I'm told nobody uses
> it anymore anyway), is the Interbase option in Delphi something that I
> could write usable SQL applications in? Any free SQL compilers out
> there like there are for Java?
> Thanks.

Delphi is widely used in my experience. I write C/S apps using Oracle as db and Delphi for clients. Interbase is not very scalable, but will do fine for many C/S applications. Its a true SQL base, and a very fine one too!

When writing small apps you might find Oracle to be too big and too expensive, Interbase will do fine I think.

TOAD is a tool for Oracle. You can get it for free at www.toadsoft.com. It has a procedure editor that will do for small projects. Oracles own Procedure Builder is not worth it.

Peter Laursen Received on Mon Nov 22 1999 - 09:06:09 CST