Re: TNS-00510 error on Oracle 7.2.3/Sun Solaris 2.6

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:55:39 +0200

Arun Kumar B wrote in message <819n3k$mk0$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>...
>This is a repost. Could someone help me on this.

>> TNS-12500: "TNS:listener failed to start a dedicated server process".
>> TNS-12540: "TNS:internal limit restriction exceeded"
>> TNS-12560: "TNS:protocol adapter error"
>> TNS-00510: "Internal limit restriction exceeded"
>> SVR4 error : 12 : Not enough space.

The bottom message is the culprit. Unix kernel hits a problem and then it has a cascading effect back up into the Oracle listener.

The question though is to what does System 5 Release 4 error number 12 refer to when it says "not enough space"?

> This error happens after few client connections are made to the Server.

Sheez, I dunno. Will have to troubleshoot this to see where it leads to. From the top of my head, not enough space should refer to disk space. Does the listener have full logging/tracing enabled? Maybe the logs/trace files get full and the listener bombs because of that? Maybe the listener uses /tmp for creating temporary files for some obscure reason. Maybe /tmp gets full? I would expect a "not enough memory" error if the problem was related to memory, so I would concentrate on file system space for starters.

If nothing turns up there, then I suggest monitoring the listener closely and maybe running something like sar or sadc to monitor system resources.

Good luck.

regards,
Billy Received on Mon Nov 22 1999 - 07:55:39 CST