Re: redo copy "sleep rate" is this a problem?

From: Greg Stark <greg-spare-1_at_mit.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 07:26:39 GMT

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> writes:

> If you've got the script you might also have
> the book. Page 29 points out that the sleep
> rate on the redo copy latch is always high
> since redo copy is rarely taken in 'willing to wait'
> mode.

I didn't but I found a store that had it so I do now.

So what's a normal value for this latch? Because our redo log buffer is indeed rather small (8192, my docs say it's in blocks but that doesn't sound possible, it must be bytes, right?) I want to raise it but I'm worried it will cause long service waits as LGWR cleans up lots of redo logs. This is an OLTP DB, a web site in fact, so having a 1-2 second pause for all connections could really wreak havoc.

--
greg Received on Sun Nov 21 1999 - 01:26:39 CST