Re: Simple Performance Problem

From: Buck Turgidson <jcman_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 12:53:50 -0800

The COBOL is executed on the same server as the database. Would tuning SQL*Net still be a possibility? My understanding was that it was for network communications. Heck, I could be wrong, though. I think it is as you describe in paragraph (1) - it is retrieving a row, and doing some processing, calculations, etc.

Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:943118072.29945.0.nnrp-14.9e984b29_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> If you are confident that Oracle is doing its bit
> effectively (i.e. identifying the 100,000 rows) and
> the problem is getting them to the COBOL program
> there are two possibilities:
>
> 1) Is the COBOL program doing single row fetches.
> If so, there is little you can do beyond re-writing it
> to use array-fetches.
>
> 2) If the COBOL is running array fetches, can you
> widen the pipeline between the front-end and the
> backend, i.e. increase the SDU (session data unit)
> of the sql*net connection. There are details of how to
> do this in the SQL*Net manuals from around 7.3.3
> onwards. You may have to construct an IPC or BEQ
> entry for the tnsnames.ora to get the best throughput.
>
> One item to check first, though, is the v$session_event
> (and v$session_wait) for the session running the COBOL
> to find out where most of the time is being lost.
>

> --
>
> Jonathan Lewis
> Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> Buck Turgidson wrote in message

<8163t0$4a6$1_at_bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>...
> >I have been analyzing some performance issues with PeopleSoft payroll.
All