Re: Bottleneck in 8i parallelism

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 10:52:35 -0000

Just had a re-read of your previous post. My comments about parallel 2 are probably wrong - I didn't look closely enough at your comment

>> >we are submitting 2 parallel tasks.

Do you mean by this the fact that you have set parallel_threads_per_cpu to 2 ? I was reading it as 'the tables are declared parallel 2.

Assuming my first interpretation was wrong, the presence of 8 CPUs and a value of 2 for this parameter, and the /*+ parallel(alias) */ hints with no explicit parallelism may mean that your query is running with 8 or 16 parallel query slaves. If each of these is running up a very large memory demand you may simply have a problem with swapping - this would perhaps agree with your observation that your internal discs are in 100% I/O wait.

To do:

Check how many PQ slaves run for this query either through the v$px_session (?) view or by using top/ps

Check the memory demand on each of the PQ slaves (top is a good bet here, or ps -efl to get the number of memory pages).

To check swapping activity I think one of the options to vmstat reports SWAP rates (as opposed to paging rates) - might be vmstat -S, vmstat -s.

Would you also post the SQL run by the slaves (the OTHER column in the plan_table), along with the id and node columns.

Are the tables partitioned ? If so, by what ?

Unless you have a good reason for setting such large sort_area_size and hash_area_size, I would reduce them -

    sort_area_size rarely helps about about 10M     hash_area_size can sometimes be very helpful when large.     but I wouldn't go about 32Mb unless I had first proved a need.

    I suspect that your shared_pool_size is a bit big for     a data warehouse - how many pl/sql packages do     you use, and how many different SQL statements ?

    Ditto, I suspect your large pool is significantly bigger     than needed. (You're not running multi-threaded servers     on a data warehouse are you ?)

--

Jonathan Lewis
Yet another Oracle-related web site: http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk