sysdba sysoper not powerful?

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_nospambigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:34:50 -0500

I thought a user with sysdba and sysoper could bring down the database.
I created an ops$oracle account and granted sysdba, sysoper,and dba to it.
From sqlplus - if I shutdown immediate
I get
ORA-01093 alter database close only permitted with no sessions connected.
Wheras a regular internal or svrmgrl session just shuts them down. Is the sysdba sysoper account supposed to use svrmgrl, not sqlplus ? When I try that, I get ORA-01031: insufficient privleges.

What am I missing?