Re: NTFS Compressed Disks for Oracle 8i DB files ?

From: Vince Cross <bartok_at_nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:55:53 -0600

Not true. Oracle itself doesn't care how the files are physically stored because it will use O/S calls to access the files. WinNT will handle the decompression automatically. However, I don't recommend this (and neither does Oracle). If you have a tablespace that is only 10% allocated (90% is currently free extents), then the datafile(s) for that tablespace will be highly compressable. However, as more extents get allocated due to table or index growth, the datafile(s) become less compressable, even though from Oracle's point of view, the datafiles have not grown in size. Eventually, you reach a point where the contents of your compressed filesystem no longer fit in the filesystem, even though the underlying files haven't increased in size. At that point, your database will crash, you could corrupt your database, and Gozer may unleash his minions on the Earth for the next millenia. Ok, so maybe not that last thing, but the first two are a real issue.

Regards,

Vince