Re: Resize Datafile

From: Joel Garry <jgarry_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 21:42:08 GMT

In article <38353abb.10191239_at_news.freeserve.net>,   alex_at_alenda.freeserve.co.uk (Alex Hudghton) wrote:
> Yes
>
> None AFAIK!
>
> Alex

In previous versions of Oracle, there were situations where bugs could corrupt the database. If you attempt to shrink the file, Oracle will warn you if there are objects above where you are shrinking to, and won't let you do it.

Also, I've seen people blow it by using OEM to resize, and impatiently leaving OEM before it was done, fouling up everything.

I've seen potential controller failures made actual under resize conditions (confusing veritas and saying the incorrect disk is failing...).

Moral: Don't be afraid to try it, but backup first!

> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:20:25 -0000, "No Name" <no_at_emain.com> wrote:
>
> >Can you resize a datafile in Oracle 8.0.5? If yes, what are the
> >ramifications?

jg
--
These opinions mine
mailto:joel-garry_at_nospam.home.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 19 1999 - 15:42:08 CST