Dot World

From: Doug Cowles <dcowles_at_nospambigfoot.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 16:29:01 -0500

Someone created a database link in oracle 7.3.3 similar to the following:
(from user_db_links)
db_link = G4XX.WORLD
HOST = G4XX
and in the tnsnames.ora file, an entry similar to the following G4XX.world =

    (DESCRIPTION =

       (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = TCP.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
(Port = 1521)
) (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = G4XX) (GLOBAL_NAME = G4XX.world) )

)

Now on an Oracle 8.1.5 instance, with the entry either as it is above, or modified
to refer to the SID as a SERVICE_NAME, no go. Cannot find descriptor is the message I get. Unless I take out the .WORLD in the tnsnames.ora file. Why? and what is this
dot world for anyhow?