Re: Can Perf. Hints Change Result Set

From: Alexander I. Doroshko <aid_at_grant.kharkov.ua>
Date: 19 Nov 1999 20:14:33 GMT

ghassan salem <gsalem_at_fr.oracle.com> wrote in article <3835733B.CDC4A3C_at_fr.oracle.com>...
: No,
: There is no way a hint will change the results of a query.
: Rgds

It's a rule, but occasionally there are bugs, connected with hints. I remember, for example, incorrect work of INDEX_DESC with early 7.x versions.
: Buck Turgidson wrote:
:
: > I need to do some tuning of some PeopleSoft Payroll SQL statements,
and it
: > will probably involve adding some hints to some stored SQL
statements. We
: > run the instance in RULE.
: >
: > Could a hint ever change the data returned from a SQL statement?
If there
: > is a risk of that, then we will obviously need to do some level of
: > application testing in parallel to make sure we generate the same
paychecks
: > with and without the hints.

There is some risk of such a bug, but IMHO it isn't greater that of any other bug, and the testing must be a moderate one. --
 Alexander I.Doroshko, aid_at_grant.kharkov.ua