Re: locking question

From: <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:27:14 GMT

In article <8147cs$3sc$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   kal121_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> This may seem like a dumb question, but the only types of DML
> statements that put locks on tables are INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE,
> right? SELECT statements do not places locks on tables, right?
>
> I have looked up this information in several sources, but there is no
> mention of SELECT statements and locking. I don't just want
to "assume"
> anything.

In Oracle, reads, i.e. selects, do not require locks. Besides the locks automatically obtained by insert, update, and delete statements you can explicity lock tables using the lock table command found in the SQL manual.

You may want to look at the material about locking, consistent reads and rollback segments in the Appliation Developer's Guide. --
Mark D. Powell -- The only advice that counts is the advice that  you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 19 1999 - 14:27:14 CST