Oracle and Dynamic Views

From: <billmil_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 17:16:35 GMT

Does Oracle allow you to create a "dynamic view"--i.e. a view which receives parameters or which includes a function call?

SQL Server, from what I understand, allows you to say something like this:

   CREATE VIEW V_MY_EMPLOYEES
   AS SELECT EMP_ID, NAME
   FROM EMPLOYEES WHERE MANAGER_ID=user_id();

where user_id() returns the id of the current user.

I don't know if SQL server allows you to pass a parameter into a view. (Access does, but it really doesn't have views, just queries...)

The oracle developer and administrator guides:

   http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.815/a68003/toc.htm    http://technet.oracle.com/doc/server.815/a67772/toc.htm don't mention any such ability.

What does the SQL-92 standard have about "dynamic views"?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Fri Nov 19 1999 - 11:16:35 CST