Display Instance in SQL*Plus Prompt

From: MohammedB <mohammedbNOmoSPAM_at_iadb.org.invalid>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 06:56:25 -0800

Follks,

Anyone got a script that displays the instance name in the SQL*Plus prompt when you first sign on. I figure that glogin.sql has to be modified and I've got a semblence of an idea but can't get it to work.

I'm doing select value from v$parameter where name = 'db_name'. How do I get the value into a variable so that I can use it in the set sqlprompt clause?

Thanks

mkb