Re: Using Oracle-OLEDB-provider to query meta-data (restrictions do not work)

From: SAF <safritts_at_icon-stl.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:07:01 -0600

Arjan,

>so when I try various filter-criteria like
>
>null, <username>, null, "TABLE" or even
>
>null, null, null, TABLE
>
>it gives back a NOT supported !

Cute - NOT!!! Are you using an Oracle OLEDB provider or a MS OLEDB provider for Oracle? (I know both vendors offer one.) Perhaps one gives better support than the other. (Obviously an MS driver is likely to give better support for MS-created methods like .OpenSchema.)

While I appreciate the convenience of .OpenSchema, I am not a fan of the implementation - specifically with the parameter array. That's where the documentation really stinks too.

Of course in your case, you know what parameters to pass - the stupid provider just doesn't know what to do with them!

>only when doing the unrestricted call I get back data:
>
>too much, messy data

I hear ya' - you can get a big unrestricted recordset - yipee!!! Too slow - too much data - and then you've got to parse it manually when that huge recordset finally comes back.

>On SQLServer my code produces excellent results.

Talk the employer/client into SQLServer!!! ;-) Then you get Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer instead of SQLPlus and SQLNet (hahaha.) (Probably not very funny at this point - sorry...)

Good luck - I'd keep a look out for new and improved OLEDB providers from both vendors,
Steve Received on Thu Nov 18 1999 - 17:07:01 CST