Re: What is the basic backup/reco strategy for db>500gb

From: QuestionExchange <USENET_at_questionexchange.com>
Date: 18 Nov 1999 20:53:37 GMT

John -
What version of Oracle? If you are using Oracle8 you have the option of using the new Oracle backup tool that backups up only changed blocks. This makes backing up LARGE databases much quicker. As you are talking about a data warehouse there should only be modifications when new data is added making this especially appropriate. also - if you are using Oracle8 you can partition the data making it possible to backup any partition only when it is first filled and - since it is not changing - never again. Use LOTS of read only tablespaces to make this happen. Hot backups will be more efficient if you stick with these guidelines than cold backups.
Duration of a cold backup depends totally on the speed of your devices so ask the system guru not a database guru. I'd stay away from export as this would be the least efficient if you are using Oracle8 but if you must use it be sure to use DIRECT=yes on the command line. As to the size of the export? That depends entirely on how much occupied space you have in the database not on the size of the files.
Regards,
Becca
> Hellow Gurus:
> We have planned to do a backup plan for D/W olap database of
size >500gb
> in Hp 10.20.
> I want to know , if any one already had the exposure about
this subject.

> What is the backup method?,
> which tool you are using ?,
> What is the duration of the cold bakup?.
> I know normally datawarehousing databases will be considered
for cold
> backup only. What about exports?
> Have you ever taken export ? what is the size of the
compressed export
> for a 500gb DB.
> Since our database is hooked up with internet reporting
applications.
> So we can not give a very big downtime for cold backups.
>
> If you gurus can enlighten me in this matter, I will be
greatful.

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com   http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=7862&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=6311 Received on Thu Nov 18 1999 - 14:53:37 CST