Re: Function and Insertstatement

From: Thomas Kyte <tkyte_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 09:49:27 -0500

A copy of this was sent to Dirk Joosen <d.joosen_at_REMOVETHIS.planetinternet.nl> (if that email address didn't require changing) On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 11:23:34 +0100, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Can someone tell me if it is possible to use a INSERT statement in a
>Function. When I use the INSERT statement I become next failure when I
>run the function.
>ORA-06571: Function GETCLIENTID does not guarantee not to update
>database.
>
>The reason that I use a Function is that I want to return a ID which I
>use.
>I know that I also can declare a procedure whith an IN OUT argument but
>I thought that a Function was easyer to use.
>
>Thanks and regards Dirk

Yes, you can code a function to write to the database.

No, you cannot call that function from a SQL select (unless you have Oracle8i and the function is an autonomous transaction...)

you would just code:

begin :my_host_variable := my_function(...); end;

Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle Corporation Received on Thu Nov 18 1999 - 08:49:27 CST