Re: sort without order by

From: <karsten_schmidt8891_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:33:31 GMT

Hi,

 not sure whether I 'd rely on this feature of index-organised tables.  This behaviour is probably due to the way index-organised tables are implemented (as an B* index..), but the relational theory (a'la codd) would say the result-set is not sorted unless you use order by.  right now this may be a no-op as the result is retrieved in a sorted manner but order by may save you in future, in case the implementation changes. (it is also more portable)

Karsten

In article <460yOJef1dyg75sckSORZy62zl0e_at_4ax.com>,   tkyte_at_us.oracle.com wrote:
> A copy of this was sent to Norris <jcheong_at_cooper.com.hk>
> (if that email address didn't require changing)
> On 17 Nov 1999 05:34:20 GMT, you wrote:
>
> >In SQLServer, I can select data from table without order-by and the
records are sorted according to the clustered index of the table. What is the syntax in oracle?

> you would use an index organized table. A full scan of an index
organized table
> returns the data in the order of the primary key. These are available
in
> Oracle8.0 and up.
>
> --
> See http://osi.oracle.com/~tkyte/ for my columns 'Digging-in to
Oracle8i'...
> Current article is "Part I of V, Autonomous Transactions" updated
June 21'st

> Thomas Kyte tkyte_at_us.oracle.com
> Oracle Service Industries Reston, VA USA
>
> Opinions are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of Oracle
Corporation

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Thu Nov 18 1999 - 04:33:31 CST