Using PL/SQL 2.x on client to fix y2k

From: <avolbert_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 02:09:43 GMT

Our company is using Oracle 4.5 Forms. Since 'RR' does not work with PL/SQL 1.x, Oracle has given us two options. One is to use an Oracle programming work-around on each Forms 4.5 program that has a Y2K problem. The other is to use a patch on each PC so it will use PL/SQL 2.x instead of PL/SQL 1.x on the client side. Then 'RR' can be utilized. Which of these solutions do you recommend? Is there any problem with utilizing 2.x? Does it mis-handle any code written for 1.x or does it cause processing slowdowns especially in peak periods?

One question I have is that if PL/SQL 2.x works perfectly on the client side, why didn't Oracle use it with 4.5 originally? Obviously it would be easier to install one patch than to fix all programs, but I do not want to have any system problems or problems with non-y2k programs which utilize obscure programming tricks. Has anyone out there installed PL/SQL on the client side for Forms 4.5, and has this installation been trouble-free or disastrous?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 17 1999 - 20:09:43 CST