Re: How do I move datafiles?

From: <skunjitha_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 01:30:26 GMT

Hi,

There is a small correction in step #2. Instead COPY, we have to MOVE the file using os command. If you copy, the duplicate of the data file(s) will be there in the previous location. So that your tablespace may get changed as RECOVERY MODE.

Sarava Kunj
skunj_at_fresno.ca.gov

In article <2vAY3.99896$y45.1606613_at_news4.giganews.com>,   "Sajnish Gupta" <sgupta_at_orillion.com> wrote:
> These are the steps to do so:
> 1)Take the Tablespace using these datafiles offline:
> ALTER TABLESPACE tb1 OFFLINE;
> 2)Copy the datafile to the new location using os commands
> 3)Use the alter tablespace command to assign the new datafile:
> ALTER TABLESPACE tb1 RENAME
> DATAFILE '/disk1/tb1.dbf' TO '/disk2/tb1.dbf'
> 4) Bring the tablespace online
>
> Terry <tmaguire_at_iiu.nospam.ie> wrote in message
> >

> > Hi all
> >
> > Sorry, but bit of a newbie question here:
> >
> > Due to disk space problems it is required to move some of our
datafiles to
> > new disks. I tried the following using 'Storage Manager' but failed:
> >
> > 1. Take the tablespace where the datafiles are located offline
(Normal
> > offline)
> > 2. Copy the datafiles to the new disk
> > 3. Try to change the path location of the datafile
> >
> > All I achieved were Oracle errors telling me that it could not
locate the
> > datafile with the new path location. I am presuming there is some
process
> in
> > place to achieve this but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to
go on
> > Oracle DBA course to learn this info, and won't have the time in the
> > foreseeable future.
> >
> > Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
> >
> > Terry Maguire
> > IIU
> > IFSC House
> > Custom House Quay
> > Dublin 1
> > Ireland

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 17 1999 - 19:30:26 CST