Re: Firewalls and SQL*Net

From: Kevin Kuehl <kkuehl_at_apk.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:47:53 -0500

coakleyj_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi everybody.
>
> I am looking for information on what firewalls support
> Sql*Net traffic, and how the firewall needs to be
> configured to allow this - given that the SQL*Net listener
> dyamically allocates port numbers for dedicated
> connections.

I have prodution experience on Oracle 7.x and 8.0 with a Checkpoint Firewall-1 between the database client and the database server. The firewall configuration is trivial for Checkpoint. It appears the software auto- magically does the SQL*Net inspection and translation.

I have production experience on Oracle 8.1 with a Cisco PIX (software version 4.2) between the database client and the database server. The firewall configuration is only slightly harder in that it appears you have to tell the PIX which port the listener is on (i.e. 1521).

The Lucent Managed Firewall does not yet support SQL*Net but they are looking into it.

Kevin Kuehl
kkuehl_at_apk.net Received on Wed Nov 17 1999 - 16:47:53 CST