Re: Using Oracle-OLEDB-provider to query meta-data

From: SAF <safritts_at_icon-stl.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:23:59 -0600

Arrjan,

You did not mention whether or not you are using the .OpenSchema method of the ADO Connection object. It will bring back metadata from your connection object without requiring the developer to know anything about the metadata schema of the DBMS (I need this - I work on too many DBMS's to learn all of their stinkin' system tables!)

If you are not using it, you should certainly check it out. The MSDN documentation for this method is not so great, but the method is really cool. It will return various recordsets of metadata based on the parameters you pass to it. I've used it fairly extensively with Jet and SQLServer OLEDB providers and it works great. I tried it out at a client's Oracle site using the MS OLEDB server for Oracle and it worked - at least for simple things like views and tables.

Maybe you were already using .OpenSchema - if so my apologies for telling you about something you already knew. If not, you should try it out and see if it can get the metadata you need and filter it appropriately to provide adequate performance.

good luck!
Steve Fritts