Re: Unix Oracle vs NT SQL7 Performance on same hardware

From: Michael Rothwell <marothwell_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 07:59:59 -0800

biscuit_13_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> I think that it is safe to assume that as long as I am running NT that
> SQL Server will be the best performer, but can anyone tell me if
> running Unix with Oracle on the same hardware would in general produce
> better, worse or fairly similar performance to NT and SQL 7?

And why do you think that it is safe to assume that? How are you using the DB? How big are your tables?

Lots of questions.

Not to mention that since you already have an NT box this large, you will probably need a bigger box in the future. As unstable as NT is, I would get away from it in a hurry with that much horsepower.

YMMV Michael Received on Wed Nov 17 1999 - 09:59:59 CST