a question from Oracle8 Backup and Recovery exam...

From: Alexander Kornacki <acorn_at_pronet.kiev.ua>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 17:42:48 +0200

Hi, ---------

I just passed Backup and Recovery exam, but I have a couple of follow-up questions.
This is the first one:

(Btw, I have had no practical experience in using Recovery Manager at all).
A question was like: "You need to connect to target database PROD as user scott
identified by tiger. There is a recovery catalog database RCVCAT, catalog owner is
rman, identified by rman. How to launch the RMAN correctly?"

OK, from the 4 answers 3 were the mess, so I chose:

rman target scott/tiger_at_prod rcvcat rman/rman_at_rcvcat

I hope I made the right choice. But... Is that answer really correct? As I learned before
from docs, it had to be :

rman target scott/tiger_at_prod catalog rman/rman_at_rcvcat ??? [ using the keyword catalog]

So, what's right? Btw, in Self Test Software assessment tests I met a clone of this question.
Here it is :

Examine these recovery catalog details:

Username : RCATMAN
Password : RCATMAN
Connect string : RCVCAT

Which command will connect to recovery catalog?

The correct choice is:

rman rcvcat rcatman/rcatman_at_rcvcat
connect target

So, I wasn't much astonished meeting this one on the exam. But, once again, is it right? I thought the correct string would be:

rman catalog rcatman/rcatman_at_rcvcat.

Btw, there were about 6-7 questions on the Backup and Recovery exam that I could recall from STS assessment test( 40 questions). On previous exams I could hardly meet a single such question.

Thanks in advance.

Alex. Received on Wed Nov 17 1999 - 09:42:48 CST