View of a union of tables?

From: <dpurrington_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 14:45:57 GMT

I know this is going to sound a little freaky, but I'd like to use a view of a union of tables to simplify the perspective of reporting users.

Basically, there are tables in another database (Sybase) and I want to use Oracle Gateway so that the users have an Oracle interface. In the Sybase database, the tables are partitioned by using multiple identical databases (basically schema to us Oracle folk). I don't want users to have to deal with those multiple tables, I want to provide a consolidated interface. So, if table_x exists in multiple databases in Sybase, I want one Oracle view as an access point to those tables.

I was thinking I could use a view with a union of all the tables in the query. Will this work? I don't want the database to query all the tables for every query on the view. That's my goal.

I also thought about maybe a view of a union of views, but that might not necessarily get me anywhere better.

Any help would be appreciated!

Dave

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Wed Nov 17 1999 - 08:45:57 CST