index - performance problem

From: Sean Welsh <seanw_at_order.com.au>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:28:22 +1100

Hello,

I have a major drama with my Oracle 8.05 server running on NT 4.

Symptoms are CPU running at 100% for extended periods. Query response time has degraded substantially to near unuseable levels.

My only clue is that the indexes do not seem to be being picked up by the optimiser.

For example in DEV which is working fine. Explain plan for select count(*) from ref_price shows the use of an index whereas explain plan in PROD which runs badly is suggesting that a full table scan is the plan.

Table is 240,000 records and the index is there and it has been analysed.

Anyone got any ideas why this would be so?

--
Sean Welsh Received on Tue Nov 16 1999 - 18:28:22 CST