Re: Why people dislike consultants

From: <ould_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 14:35:53 GMT

Personally, as a newebie in software developement the majority of my questions on oracle whose freely answered by consultants for ex. Rocky Welch or Oracle DBA as Lyall Barbour, Jeoel R. Kallman,Jared Still, etc.

On contray to US in France Consultants are verry appreciated. This is certainly due to their capcity to solve complicated problems in few laps of time.

Then it is normal that entrprises buy the price as they gain time.

Please escuse my English.

Mohamed Ould

In article <80p29u$41$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   morlej_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> It seems to me, from my experience in the industry, that people do not
> like computer consultants very much. As my experience mostly falls in
> the Oracle domain, I thought this would be a good place to ponder this
> issue.
>
> I thought I would scribe some of my thoughts to provoke the
discussion.
> Some may be a little contentious, to shake the bag a bit, so to speak:
>
> Q1. Who commissions a consultant?
> A1. Your boss - somebody with enough approval authority to pay for the
> service. This is the first bone of contention - is it true that when a
> consultant appears, he/she is not entirely expected/wanted by the
> people doing the work?
> Nobody can dispute that you really need help once in a while, for any
> number of reasons. How CHEAP would consulting help need to be in order
> to allow the purchasing decision to fall back into the hands of the
> guy/gal with hands on keyboards? Would this kind of model make the
help
> more welcome?
>
> Q2. Why do consultants get commissioned in the first place?
> A2. Bandwidth. Surely most of the value that a consultant brings is
> already available in an increasing number of online resources? Is a
> consultant not a redundant figure? What possible extra value can a
> consultant bring? Is it purely the case that there is not enough time
> to surf for the answers?
>
> Q3. Are consultants good enough to rehire?
> A3. Mostly not. This results in a large proportion of the chargeable
> hours being spent by the consultant finding his/her feet, only to
never
> return. Net result to the permanent employee: lots of wasted time, and
> only a small gain made.
>
> Q4. What do consultants NOT offer as a service?
> A4. What people actually need. Things like a nicely organized approach
> to performance analysis, complete tools for space management, and so
> on. Consultants enjoy being enigmas, and cherry picking the nice work,
> like narrow-band performance investigations, and the best bits of
> architecture work.
>
> Am I wrong, or are these common feelings? If I were a consultant, I
> would want to know what I could do to be a shining light - perhaps
> asking the following questions in addition to those above:
>
> What are your most common performance problems?
> What duties takes the most time in your job?
> What duties do you dislike the most?
> What can I do to help?
>
> Just my two pennies!
>
> James
>
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy. Received on Tue Nov 16 1999 - 08:35:53 CST