Re: Online backup alternatives

From: John Chiu <johnymc_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 06:43:35 -0500

import/export is not used for online backup. use Oracle hot backup procedures:
  database must be in archivelog mode
  archive log list
  alter tablespace begin backup
  o/s backup tablespace datafile
  alter tablespace end backup
  repeat the above three steps for all tablespaces in concern   archive log list
  backup archivelogs in list
  alter database backup controlfile to trace   backup trace file

It is advised to read some books/manual before implementing backup/recovery procedures.

HTH John Chiu

CT <c.traupe_at_dr-staedtler.de> wrote in message news:80r9j2$10a$1_at_news.ecrc.de...
> Hallo,
>
> I'm relatively new to administrating ORACLE serversm and hadn't had the
> privilege of attending a course. I had to implement an online backup,
which
> in my case means the database must be running during backup. Because of
> being an development server (no important production data) it's sufficent
> do a full database backup every night. I (maybe because of my rudimentary
> knowlegde not the best way, but it works; already a few months :-) )
choose